Emily Harburg, Ph.D.
Hi there! I am passionate about building tech to foster connectedness, self-efficacy, and support. I’m the CEO and Founder of PairUp, a digital mentorship platform. I’ve worked at Disney, Facebook, and EF. I also co-founded Brave Initiatives, Youth Lead the Change, and Thoughtlucks. I received my Ph.D. in Technology & Social Behavior from Northwestern, and B.A. in Psychology from Harvard. I enjoy spending time outside and in community. Thanks for being here!
“Technology is best when it brings people together.” (Matt Mullenweg)
Media & Speaking
- “Can She Lead?“, Harvard Business Review
- “Teaming at Disney Animation“, Harvard Business Review Case Study
- “CheerOn: An Online Social Support System for Project-Based Learning Teams” TOCHI ACM
- “Role Models Wanted! How & Why To Seek Out Good Role Models” Wogrammer
- “Building Support Tools to Connect Novice Designers with Professional Coaches.” The Proceedings of Creativity and Cognition, ACM Press
- “Understanding the Effects of Crowdfunding on Entrepreneurial Self-Efficacy” CSCW
- “CrowdFound: A Mobile Crowdsourcing System to Find Lost Items On-the-Go“, CHI WIP
- “Overcoming barriers between volunteer professionals advising project-based learning teams with regulation tools.” British Journal of Educational Technology
- “JumpGym: A Jumping Exergame for Waiting Areas, Games Learning & Society” Gaming Symposium
- “Studying the Effects of Task Notification Policies on Participation and Outcomes in On-the-go Crowdsourcing“, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
- “Crowdsourcing On-the-Go with Context-sensitive Notifications“, HCOMP